| || |
Richard J Kinch, PhD
Products and Services
- Optical engineeringdesign and fabrication for scientificand medical research.
- Electrical and computer engineering.
- Mechanical engineering and metrology for scientific instrumentation.
- TrueTeX 4.1 version update details.
- TurboTeX, the classic, best-sellingimplementation of TeX for UNIX, DOS, and Windows.
- Expert Linux consulting.
- Bezier curve expertise for computer graphics,including software and consulting on planar constructive geometry.Essays on topics of Bezier curve intersection and motif classification.
- The ttf_edit TrueType font table editoravailable for free during a limited timeto persons willing to serve as beta testers.NOTE: The ttf_edit tool provides you aprogramming language to edit, import, and exportencodings, names, and metrics in TrueType fonts.It is a language-based (not graphical) tool, and is not concerned withthe glyph shapes themselves.Look over the TTF_EDIT Users Guidefirst to see if this software something you can understand and use,then send a message to email@example.com stating (1) that you would like a copy,and (2) a one-sentence summary of your application.You will receive an e-mail reply containing a uuencoded ZIP file withversions for Windows and Linux.
Free Downloads (Sales and Support)
- Release notes for the current release of TrueTeX([PDF file 320 KB]),including updating instructions and a bug list.
Free Downloads (for TeX Experts)
- The TrueTeX Times Option: Using Times Fonts with TrueTeX:[timesopt.pdf, 315 KB PDF file],Describes how TrueTeX uses Windows Times New Roman and Belleek mathTrueType fonts to typeset text and mathematics, with output to eitherPDF files or direct DVI previewing/printing.Thus, TeX documents may be converted to PDF files in a Times style(using the standard LaTeX mathtime.sty package), insteadof less-portable DVI files using Computer Modern fonts.This document illustrates a wide variety of sample equations in TeX,showing their pleasing appearance in the Times Math style, and is itself a sample TeX-to-PDF document created by TrueTeX.
- UM Fonts:[um.zip,349 KB ZIP file],9 TrueType fonts in Windows ANSI encoding providing TeXtypefaces for non-TeX applications.The file names areumb10.ttf, umbx10.ttf, umbxsl10.ttf, umbxti10.ttf, umitt10.ttf,umr10.ttf, umsltt10.ttf, umti10.ttf, and umtt10.ttf.Updated September, 2005 to permit installable embedding.
- Belleek: A Call for METAFONT Revival[PDF file],a paper presented at the 1998TeX Users Group Annual Conference, Torun, Poland.Accompanying software: the Belleek fonts[ZIP archive],public-domain Type 1 and TrueType fonts which are drop-inreplacements for the proprietary fontsused by the LaTeX mathtime package.(A previous title for this paper was, Developing New Math Fontsfor the Public Domain.)
- Extending TeX to Unicode[PDF file][ZIP'ped DVI file],a paper presented at the 1996TeX Users GroupAnnual Conference, Dubna, Russia.
- MetaFog: Converting METAFONT Shapes to Outlines[PDF file, 310 KB][ZIP'ped TeX DVI files, 190 KB][ZIP'ped PostScript file, 202 KB],a popular and award-winning paper presented at the 1995TeX Users Group Annual Conference, St Petersburg, Florida, USA.Accompanying software: cmr10.pfb[ZIP archive],an unhinted Type 1font converted from Knuth's METAFONT sources by MetaFog.
- An example of Donald Knuth's reward checkin payment for an error discovered in TeX and METAFONT.
- Font encoding files developer's kit[ZIP archive],a collection of files listing glyph names and code valuesfor various common encodings employed by Windows, Unicode,TeX, Macintosh, etc.Also includes documentation and software for set-theoreticmanipulation via the program joincode.
- Description of TeX year 2000 (Y2K) issues.
- Kinch family photo, May 2014.Older photos from2013,2012,2011,2010,2009,2007,2006,2004,2003,2000,1999,1998,1997,1996.More recent photos (after 2014) may be found on my Facebook page.
- My Rubato project for computer-aided live musical performance.
- Hurricane Wilma photo gallery from the Kinch household, October 2005.
- A photo of my wife Holly and me, November 2004.
- Hurricane Frances photo gallery from the Kinch household, September 2004.
- A 2003 identification photo of me.
- Myself-portrait photo in pince-nez eyeglasses,December 1999 (38 KB JPEG color image).
- In 2002 I determined that the best prospects for my engineering work would involve making stuff;not just software or computer hardware.I set about establishing a CNC machine shop, CAD mechanical engineering design facility,and optical engineering laboratory to supplement my existing electronics laboratory.Chiefly this is applied to making digital camera adaptersfor microscopes, medical instruments, and other optical instrumentation, which has becomea major activity for me.I have written various essays and projects on the machine shop itself.
- My mechanical engineering work started with the purchase of certain aerospace machine shopassets including a large inventory of surplus metals.An earlier effort, now inactive, was the Flatbed Scanner Digital Telecine project,which converted old home movie film to high-quality digital movies.
- My swimming pool projects:do-it-yourself pool replastering and remodeling, andpool chemistry process control with Linux,
which made me briefly famous when the latter page was featured onSlashdotand drew over 20,000 hits in one day.
- Other challenging do-it-yourself projects:replacing deadly garage door torsion springs,servicing Whirlpool ice machines,and building a laminate backsplash.
- My essay on theory and apparatus to inexpensively carbonate beveragesin the home, which the New York Times called,"One particularly useful Web site".
- A small case of being defrauded on eBay and how I resolved it.
- A short original music composition, Kinch's Hornpipe, 1977 (28 KB PDF file).
- An old business photo, 1992 (46 KB GIF B/W image).
- An original painting by the English artist Richard Watson (1840-1921).